Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Baseball Predictions Part 2

Well, since it is my blog I guess I can show a bit of hubris. If you scroll a measly one post down, you will see my predictions for the baseball playoffs. These are indeed predictions and not results, although they 75% could be. It is true, that I picked 3 of the 4 division series winners and how many games they would need to get things wrapped up. The lone standout is I picked the Dodgers in 5, not being pessimistic enough about the horrible Cubs team that got absolutely wrecked in the opening series against the boys in Blue. That's better than the "expert" picks I read in the days leading up to Game 1's.

Back to living in the now rather than my past glory.

Red Sox vs. Rays
Sox in 6
As a Sox fan, this series scares me. The Rays are in uber cocky, there's nothing going to stop us mode that you hate to see. Then again, the Angels had that same idea and failed to execute again (although they seem to think they were the better team, yet lost 3 of 4 (that's a .250 winning percentage) Keep dreaming L.A.). I am interested to see if Lester starts game 1 (on 3/4 days of rest depending on how you count it), or if it will be the chip artist Dice-K or the legend Beckett. I think that is a big decision for Terry and he may only want Lester to be the one to do it, which would help explain his logic of pulling in the 7th last night on some bogus split second reaction Lester had to getting the final out of his night. I like the Red Sox "been there before" look they seemingly bring to the park each game a bit more than the Rays mentality that I detailed above so I will take experience over youth but look out for the Rays over the next three years.

MVP - John Lester

Dodgers vs Phillies
Dodgers in 5
Remember when the Rockies went on a tear to the World Series last year? While the numbers weren't as impressive (like 20+ game winning streak to end the season), but they were mind boggling since the Ramirez trade. They have the hottest pitching in baseball, a great bullpen (Lidge can't take the 7th - 9th every night) and a guy who just flat out hits each October. If the Phillies can slow them down with a strong Cole Hamels start in Game 1 and that lineup starts catching some fire and wins some 7-6, 9-8 types of ball games, the Phillies will take this one in 7. Unfortunately I dont think anything is stopping Manny and Torre's return to Fenway Park in the biggest series of the year.

MVP - Manny Ramirez

No comments: